Location: Austrian Centre of Industrial Biotechnology (ACIB), Graz, AT
Supervisor: Dr Birgit Wiltschi
The research, which will be carried out at the Austrian Centre of Industrial Biotechnology – acib GmbH (www.acib.at), in Graz (Austria) involves the site-selective functionalization of lectins with non-canonical amino acids containing reactive handles for their directed attachment to solid surfaces. The work will include state-of-the-art molecular biology, the expansion of the genetic code, and chemical protein modification.
acib GmbH is one of the leading research centres in the field of industrial biotechnology. More than 200 employees work in an interdisciplinary environment in close cooperation with 12 scientific and 40 company partners to bridge the gap between academic and industrial research.
Applicants should meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have a Diploma and/or a Master Degree in molecular biology, biochemistry or biotechnology and have very good theoretical and practical knowledge of molecular biology methods, bioinformatics (database search, sequence analysis, vector design), as well as microbiological techniques and protein biochemistry. Interest in synthetic biology is essential, hands-on experience, e.g., in an iGEM project is a plus.
- Have less than 4 years research experience at the signature of the contract (measured from the time the Master’s degree has been obtained).
- Not have a PhD already.
- Not have resided or carried out main activity in Austria for more than 12 months in the last 3 years immediately prior to the reference recruitment date.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (spoken and written / proficiency level)
- Ideally, you are enthusiastic to reach ambitious goals, curious to learn new techniques and to present your results in oral and written form. Successful candidates are eager to participate in the network’s training activities and work placements at the laboratories of the synBIOcarb academic and industrial teams.
The ESR will be contractually employed by acib GmbH and will receive a Monthly Living Allowance plus a Mobility Allowance compliant with the applicable EC Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions-ITN general conditions.
Candidates should submit a CV, cover letter and the names and contact details of at least 3 references via our application portal application.acib.at (reference nº 09_2018 ESR10).
The deadline for applications is 07/01/2019.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions. ACIB is dedicated to a well-balanced gender ratio. Therefore, this job advertisement addresses qualified male and female persons equally.